February 3, 2015


The trip down to Mirissa was hardcore! But we were proud not to give in to the half a million offers of a Tuk Tuk to make it a bit more straightforward… In total our nine hour, three bus journey cost us about £3.20 for both of us.

We sort of knew it was going to be fairly touristy. But when you get here you can understand why… The beach is a gorgeous stretch of super soft sand, the harbour is picturesque and bustling with life, there are great waves for surfing, ‘party party’ (not for us) and many whale watching companies. Basically something for everyone!

We gave ourselves a day lounging on the beach, eating and drinking at Zephyr bar right on the beach. It’s run by a friend of a friend so came highly recommended and didn’t disappoint, it’s been really beautifully done up and the food is incredible. https://www.facebook.com/zephyrmirissa#_=_

Then on the second day we treated ourselves (courtesy of Tash and Lamby – thanks guys!!) to a Whale watching tour, as Sri Lanka’s unique coastline is one of the best places in the world to see whales close to the shore, especially Blue Whales as there’s a 2000m canyon just off of the coastline. We used Raja and the Whales, a recommended knowledgeable company who do their best not to disturb any of the wildlife (http://www.rajaandthewhales.com). It meant a very early morning and the choppy sea was a bit of a shock that early in the morning; we both found our sea legs, then lost them again a few times before getting the hang of it a couple of hours in. It took a while before we saw anything but once we did it seemed non-stop! First was a group of pilot whales, who were resting near the surface and kept putting their square heads above the water, looking around in a motion that’s called spy hopping. Followed by a group of spinner Dolphins who zoomed alongside us for quite a way. Then a lone manta ray flying just beneath the surface. The biggest creature we saw was a Bryde’s whale, which grow to about 15 metres. We saw a mother and it’s baby, flitting along the surface, leaving ‘footprints’ of clear water in their wake. We followed them for about 20 minutes which was awesome. The final spotting was a whale shark with its incredibly distinctive markings just below the surface.

We were out on the water for about 8 hours in the end, so we definitely got our monies worth and were super happy to see all that we did. No blue whales. Never mind, we’ll just have to come back one day.